A survey by American Express found 93 percent of consumers believe shopping at small businesses is important, and they’re putting their money where their mouths are by spending about a third of their discretionary income at local small businesses. Here are a few reasons you should join them by participating in Small Business Saturday this year.
- Get free money. For Amex cardholders, shopping local on Nov. 26 can net a $25 credit on a $25 purchase. Check out the Small Business Saturday Facebook page for details on how and where. (FedEx partnered with American Express to offer 40,000 $25 Amex gift cards to non-Amex customers too, but they ran out in about an hour.)
- Find something different. They often have unique items or services you won’t find in the mass retailers. These can make great gifts.
- Preserve unique places to eat, drink, and shop. That uniqueness can also help create a community character and a sense of place. Think of the reasons you like to travel – it’s probably not because the destinations have another McDonald’s or Walmart. Shopping at these stores helps keep them alive, and encourages new ones.
- Make friends. The service is often much better. More than 20 percent of consumers in the American Express survey listed being greeted by name and getting personal recommendations as the primary reason for shopping small. Local businesses depend on maintaining relationships, unlike the giants who sometimes seem too successful to care.
- Improve the community. Small businesses support the local area with their taxes, by creating jobs, and often by buying from and working with other local companies. Many also support local nonprofits and community groups.
Welcome to the Thorndale Area Chamber of Commerce website!
AMERICAN PICKERS To Film In TexasTEXAS is excited to welcome Mike Wolfe, Frank Fritz and Antique Archeology to the area. The team will film episodes of their hit series AMERICAN PICKERS throughout Texas. Filming is scheduled for February 2016.
AMERICAN PICKERS is a documentary series that explores the fascinating world of antique ‘picking’ on History. This hit show follows two of the most skilled pickers in the business, Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz, as they embark on an epic road trip across the U.S. in search of America’s most valuable antiques from motorcycles, classic cars and bicycles to one-of-a-kind vintage memorabilia. Mike and Frank are on a mission to recycle America, restore forgotten relics to their former glory, and learn a thing or two about American history along the way.
AMERICAN PICKERS is looking for leads and would love to explore what you may have. They are on the hunt for interesting characters with interesting and unique items. Some of what they look for: vintage bicycles, toys, unusual radios, movie memorabilia, advertising, military items, folk art, vintage musical equipment, vintage automotive items, early firefighting equipment, vintage clothing, pre-50’s western gear.
AMERICAN PICKERS is produced by Cineflix Productions for History. New episodes air Wednesdays at 9pm ET on History.
If you have a large collection or want to refer someone to Mike and Frank, email: your name, number, address and description of the collection and photos to: email@example.com 855-old-rust.
Get Involved... Get Results!
The Thorndale Area Chamber of Commerce, located in downtown Thorndale, TX is dedicated to promoting growth and economic development, advocating for sound public policy, and serving our members with outstanding programs and benefits in and around the Thorndale area.
We know that growing your business isn't easy. That's why we're here. Our single-minded goal is to help your business grow and prosper. By promoting a strong local economy, advancing the interests of the business community and serving our members, we can make our community an even better place to live, work and play. If your organization isn't currently a Chamber member we invite you to join now.
Our Website is now online! We invite you to explore this new tool to our Thorndale Area Chamber of Commerce. Check out our Chamber Members pages, Events Calendar and Photos of recent events. While you're here, take note of things you like or dislike and let us know what you think by sending us a message through our 'Contact Us' page.
GIVE US A LINK!
You can help us promote our new website (and your business) by giving us a link from your website. Show your chamber pride by adding the following text to the main page of your website.
We appreciate your continued support!